Child Law – Child Arrangement Orders and Disputes

The UK Courts always want to ensure the protection and well-being of children and consider it of the utmost importance. Our specialist child law solicitors have several years of experience in dealing / helping many parents and children with many aspects of adoption, child custody matters. Our child law solicitors will endeavour to guide you through the process and offer you direct support.

Dominic Levent solicitors’ comprise of experienced child lawyers and specialize in all aspects of child law. Our  specialist take a single minded approach in assisting separating parents to put their children’s needs at the heart of every decision and answer all your questions.

If necessary, our experts separation solicitor or divorce solicitors can deal with any type of child or family court proceedings; our solicitors have a commitment to ensure your legal issues are resolved in a stress-free and efficient manner.

Our Specialist Family Solicitors offer help and advice on Divorce Law and Family Law:

  • Separation and pre-nuptial matters
  • Settlements relating to divorce, and Financial Settlements
  • Post-nuptial and Pre-nuptial Agreements
  • Non-Molestation and Occupation Orders
  • Child Arrangement Matters and Child Access
  • Cohabitation Agreements

Contact a Child Law Solicitor at Dominic Levent Solicitors today for immediate assistance

0208 347 6640

Please complete the form below & our expert will get back to you.

family solicitor, family law solicitors, divorce solicitors barnet and enfield

Why choose our Child Solicitors ?

You can be assured that our solicitors will handle your case in the most sensitive and professional manner, whilst providing you with the expert legal advice you will need in order to resolve any issues involving your children.

As members of Resolution, our child solicitors and legal executives aim to work in a conciliatory manner in line with Resolution’s code of practice.  We aim to provide you with the best possible service we can offer.

Our committed solicitors will seek the best possible outcome in:

  • Child Adoption
  • International Family Law Issues
  • Child Custody Matters
  • Child Arrangements Matters and Child Access
Dominic Levent
4.9 out of 5 stars - based on 93 reviews

How can our Specialist Children Custody Lawyers help you?

Our child custody lawyers can provide you with all the help and information you may require in relation to your child law matters.

Our experts understand the particular fears and worries of parents facing divorce and work to minimise the impact on all parties, particularly the children involved. Our child and divorce solicitors will work tirelessly to help you reach a positive agreement.

A breakdown in a relationship may leave numerous issues that need to be addressed e.g. access to your children and the division of assets such as property etc. In these cases contacting a child solicitor in our Family Law Department and speaking to our child custody solicitors  can be most helpful.

Whatever your family law problems, contacting one of our divorce lawyer or child lawyers today will help direct you guide you in the right direction

Our Child Law Solicitors offers help and advice in relation to the following:

  • Pre-Civil Agreements
  • Civil Partnership
  • Judicial Separation
  • Asset Disposal
  • Ending Civil Partnership
  • Islamic Divorce
  • Jewish Divorce
  • Finances Upon Divorce
  • Finances in Civil Partnership
  • Setting Aside Financial Order
  • Asset Preservation
  • Variation of Financial Order
  • Enforcement of Financial Order
  • Pensions
  • Domestic Violence
  • Non-molestation Order
  • Occupation Order
  • Nullity & Annulment

Child Law FAQs

What is Parental Responsibility and who has it for my child?

Parental Responsibility (PR) is defined in the Children Act 1989 as “all the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority which by law a parent of a child has in relation to the child and his property.”

If you have PR for a child, this means that you have a right to be involved in making important decisions about that child, for example, where they go to school, what religion they are brought up in and whether they have certain medical treatment.

People with PR are not expected to consult each other about day to day care arrangements for a child in their care, for example, what they eat for breakfast or what they wear.

The following people can have PR of a child.

A birth mother will always have PR for her child unless it is ended, for example by adoption.

Fathers can have PR in the following situations:

  • Being married to the child’s mother at the time the child was born or marrying the child’s mother after they are born
  • Being named on the child’s birth certificate if the child was born after 1.12.2003
  • By entering a PR agreement with everyone else who has PR
  • By obtaining a court order confirming the child lives with you, or a court order granting PR
  • A step-parent by entering a formal agreement with everyone else who has PR
  • A Local Authority if a child is in care
  • Someone with the benefit of a Special Guardianship Order
Can I change my child’s surname?

If you want to change your child’s surname and they are under the age of 16, you will need the consent of everyone with parental responsibility for your child. (see above)

If not everyone with parental responsibility agrees to your child’s name being changed, you can ask the court to decide whether your child’s name should be changed or not.

Courts will not usually agree to a change in a child’s surname unless there is a good reason for doing this or unless it is something the child wants and they are at an age whether their views would be considered decisive.

Children aged 16 or over can change their surname if they want to.

Do mothers always end up having primary care of a child?

No. If you and your ex-partner can’t agree about your child’s care arrangements and the court becomes involved, the court will decide based on what they feel is in the child’s best interests.

This could mean any one of a few outcomes, including the child spending more of the time with their mother, more time with their father or roughly equal amounts of time with each of their parents.

Some fathers do feel that they are at a disadvantage against a mother but this should not be the case.

If a child is very young, there may still be a tendency for courts to take a view that the child should spend more of their time in their mother’s care.

Dominic Levent Solicitors cover the following areas:

  • Arkley
  • Arnos Grove
  • Barnet
  • Botany Bay
  • Burnt Oak
  • Bush Hill Park
  • Brent Cross
  • Colindale
  • Colney Hatch
  • Cockfosters
  • Church End
  • Crewes Hill
  • East Finchley
  • Edgeware
  • Enfield  Forty Hill
  • Friern Barnet
  • Grange Park
  • Golders Green
  • Hendon
  • Hampstead Garden Suburb
  • Henley’s Corner
  • Monken Hadley
  • New Southgate
  • Southgate
  • The Ridgeway
  • Waltham Cross
  • Whetstone
  • Woodside Park

Our Family Law Solicitors have expertise across the full spectrum of Family Law.

Book a No Obligation Initial Consultation

  • CALL US: 0208 347 6640